Most families protect their finances with liability insurance, but this more than likely won’t be enough to protect your assets in the event of a more extreme emergency. Umbrella insurance will help prevent your family from losing everything. Alexander Insurance in St. Charles, MO, is here to ensure you and your family’s assets are secure, keeping you protected.
Liability insurance generally always covers two things: bodily injury to third parties and property damage.
Examples of what liability insurance will cover:
- Bodily injury: for example, if someone were to walk up your driveway where the concrete happens to be uneven, and they trip and hurt themselves.
- Property damage: let’s say a bee flies into your face while you’re driving through your neighborhood, you instinctively freak out, and then crash through a neighbor’s mailbox. Hey, it could happen.
What is Umbrella Insurance?
Umbrella insurance provides additional coverage, or “excess liability coverage.” This can be applied to any of your insurance policies, whether it’s auto, motorcycle, homeowners, or watercraft. It covers past the “base” that your liability insurance covers. To put it simply, umbrella insurance will cover what the liability won’t.
Examples of What Umbrella Insurance Will Protect
- Dog bite: homeowner’s insurance will generally cover your dog biting someone – to an extent. If you’re sued, and the price goes above that liability “base,” umbrella insurance will ensure you don’t lose your assets.
- Auto or boating accident: if you’re in an accident and you’re found at fault – umbrella insurance will cover all expenses that you’re responsible for past what the “base” liability covers. This also applies to property damage if, let’s say, you accidentally drive your car into a building. Crazier unfortunate things have happened.
- Injuries: Perhaps your son plays pee wee football and accidentally causes another child a significant injury, prompting the other child’s parents to sue for medical bill coverage. Umbrella insurance will once again cover past the liability “base” coverage.
What Umbrella Insurance Covers That Liability Insurance Doesn’t
- False arrest, imprisonment, or detention
- Invasion of privacy
- Libel, defamation, or slander
- Malicious prosecution
- Wrongful eviction
What Umbrella Insurance Doesn’t Cover
- Business losses
- Criminal acts done on purpose
- Intentional acts of violence or harm to another
- Damages due to acts of war
How to Purchase Umbrella Insurance in St. Charles, MO
Be sure to call Alexander Insurance in St. Charles, MO, for all of your insurance needs and to ensure your family’s future is in safe hands. We take pride in helping families all throughout the Missouri area.